Individual Student Travel
A country is considered high hazard if it is listed on the U.S. Department of State Travel Warning List or CSURM High Hazard Country List (pdf). War risk countries are listed at the bottom of the High Hazard Country List.
Proposal Approval Process – at least 30-60 days prior to travel
Please use Chrome or Safari as your browser to complete the documents below.
- Review and complete the Cal Poly Individual Travel Abroad Cover Sheet & Checklist (pdf).
- Complete the Cal Poly Individual Travel Abroad Proposal that includes:
- Travel Pre-Authorization Form 1A (xlsx)
- Itinerary Form (pdf)
- Cost Estimate Form (xlsx)
- International Travel Insurance Request Application (pdf)
- Individual Roster (pdf) (if more than 4 travelers on same itinerary)
- Traveling with Devices & More Signature Form (pdf)
- Volunteer Form (for trip leaders and travelers not affiliated with Cal Poly)
- Check the High Hazard Countries List (pdf) and the U.S. State Department Warning List. Travel proposed in countries on either of these lists require approval from the President's office. War risk countries require approval from the CSU Chancellor's office.
- Submit Travel Proposal to Department Head for signatures.
- Travel Proposal is forwarded to Dean for signatures.
- Submit completed packet to the Cal Poly International Center. Paperwork must be submitted: 30 days prior to travel for non-hazardous international travel; 60 days prior to travel for high hazard travel. The International Center will:
- Verify Student Eligibility
- Collect Student Forms:
- The International Center will forward packet for approval. Travel must be approved by the following:
- President (if high hazard)
- Chancellor (if war hazard)
*High Hazard countries require International Travel Insurance Request approval signatures 3 months (90 days) prior to departure.
- Risk Management binds insurance and emails insurance card to traveler.
- International Center registers traveler in the STEP program and notifies UPD.
Post-Travel – within 10 days of return
- Submit Travel Expense Claim Form (xlsx). Follow policies and procedures as indicated by Fiscal Services.