"The more you know, the more protected you are. Awareness is your greatest ally.
- Increased awareness of the dangers abroad pertaining to gender violence
- Confidence in preventing and responding to such dangers
- Feeling comfortable in having a conversation around the topic with others and yourself
- What would you like to come away with today?
- Take a moment to record your personal goals
SAFER General Travel Tips
ALWAYS KNOW YOUR SURROUNDINGS
Acknowledge how locals are behaving and be aware. Also discover where your nearest medical resources are.
DEVELOP A SUPPORT NETWORK
Maintain communication with a cohort, faculty advisor, and support back home. Record contact information with the American Embassies.
REFLECT ON YOUR EXPECTATIONS
Acknowledge your wants, needs, and goals of a trip/outing. Share these expectations with someone in your support network and check in regularly.
DEVELOP A SAFETY PLANS
Arrange for transportation to and from outings, have contact information written down for local authorities, medical services, and someone in your support network at all times.
SAFER Country Infosheet
For more information and tips from SAFER, click here