Cal Poly

J-1 On-Campus Employment

Eligibility Requirements

  • Maintain good academic standing
  • Employment can be no more than 20 hours per week, except during official school breaks
  • Employment must be authorized by the International Center prior to the start date
  • Enrolled full-time during fall, winter and/or spring quarters while employed on-campus

How to Find On-Campus Jobs

On-campus jobs are posted on Mustang Jobs. Access is available through the

Note: The University Store is owned by a separate company and employment there is no eligible as on-campus employment.

Submit Required J-1 Work Form to Receive Employment Authorization

Your SEVIS record must be updated with your employment information prior to beginning on-campus employment. Complete the J-1 Work Form and turn it in at the International Center Front Desk

U.S. Social Security Card Required for Paid Employment

  • Complete the SSN Letter Request Form if you do not have a U.S. Social Security card from past employment in the U.S.
  • Refer to the Social Security webpage for instructions on the application procedure and documents you need to apply for a Social Security card.

Back to top

© 2015 California Polytechnic State University Cal Poly International Center
Building 52, Room E32
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
Phone: (805) 756-1477
Fax: (805) 756-5484