Cal Poly

Economic Hardship

Economic Hardship is off-campus employment that is approved by USCIS based on unforeseen severe economic hardship.

  • Employment can be in any job and does not have to be related to your major
  • Granted by USCIS in1-year increments or up to the I-20 program end date whichever is shorter
  • Students must reapply at least 90 days but not more than 6 months before their current authorization expires each year to renew work authorization
  • Work authorization ends if you transfer schools
  • Limited to 20 hours per week while school is in session
  • Can work full-time during official school breaks
  • Do not need an offer of employment to apply
  • Must receive EAD before you start work

Back to top


  • Must have been in valid F-1 status for at least one full academic year (equivalent of 3 quarters)
  • Good academic standing
  • Must prove to USCIS that employment is necessary due to severe economic hardship caused by circumstances beyond your control that arose after obtaining F-1 status

Back to top

Document Circumstances Causing Economic Need

  • Write a statement describing your unforeseen hardship situation
  • State that you have looked for on-campus employment and it is not available or sufficient to solve your financial hardship
  • Attach as much back-up documentation to strengthen your application
  • Examples:
    1. Unexpected changes in the financial condition of the student’s source of support
    2. Proof of your home country currency devaluation or exchange rate
    3. Loss of on-campus employment
    4. Inordinate increases in tuition and/or living costs
    5. Medical bills
    6. Other substantial and unexpected expenses
    7. Include a sample budget of your expenses and funding to show the gap
    8. The gap should not be so large that even working off campus would not help

Back to top

How to Apply

See Judy Mitchell in the International Center (Building 52, Room E32) for assistance in applying.

    1. Complete I-765 Form
      • Download Form I-765 at . Save it so you can fill it in on your computer. This is preferable to completing it by hand. Additional instructions are available at   If filling out by hand, be sure to use black ink.
      • Sign with black ink.
      • Check the box indicating that you are applying for permission to accept employment, and complete items 1-16.
      • The address on line 3 should be a permanent residence where you want the EAD mailed. Keep in mind it will be mailed in 3-5 months. If you want it to be mailed outside California be sure to mention this at your OPT appointment as this determines the application mailing address.
      • On line 16, fill in (c) (3) (iii)
      • If you have any questions when filling out the form Judy can assist you at your appointment
    2. Complete G-1145 Form
    3. Attach documentation of economic need (described above)
    4. Attach two photos (follow photo instructions)
    5. Attach check for $410 made out to "U.S. Department of Homeland Security."
    6. Bring the above items to your appointment with Judy
    7. Mail to USCIS California Service Center (ask Judy for address)

Back to top

© 2015 California Polytechnic State University Cal Poly International Center
Building 52, Room E32
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
Phone: (805) 756-1477
Fax: (805) 756-5484