Cal Poly’s vision for internationalization is to provide foundational experiential learning, teaching, service and scholarship opportunities at home and abroad that will best equip graduates and the campus community at large to solve complex global challenges sustainably, ethically and inclusively.
Learn by Doing in a global context drives students, faculty and staff to critically evaluate themselves, their own cultures, their values and place in the world. It promotes growth in character, ability to handle ambiguity, reflexive and relative thinking, and ultimately, greater personal fulfillment. It fuels informed global systems thinkers and doers, and activates Cal Poly students to be positive forces in the world.
Cal Poly will become internationally recognized as a premier comprehensive polytechnic university that:
- Makes evident its commitment to internationalization in its mission and vision statements.
- Brings the world to Cal Poly and Cal Poly to the world through hiring internationally recognized faculty, maintaining standards of excellence in international programming, and empowering Cal Poly international students and students studying abroad to succeed.
- Provides educational opportunities to develop global literacy through promoting proficiency in non-native languages at home and abroad and fostering world views that embrace openness, cre-ativity and respect.
- Develops strategic international partnerships and new program-ming that meet the needs of diverse campus constituencies and that support destinations and disciplines underrepresented in study abroad.
- Infuses the curriculum with globally relevant content and facilitates classroom dialogue that encourages cross-cultural understanding.
- Incentivizes global engagement through international research, professional development, and service opportunities for students, faculty and staff, and offers recognition for such engagement.