Cal Poly

Health Insurance and Immunizations

The California State University system requires international students on F-1 and J-1 visas to maintain health insurance coverage while enrolled in classes at Cal Poly. Health insurance protects you from having to pay large medical bills that can arise even from simple medical procedures. Cal Poly will enroll students in the campus health insurance plan upon enrollment in classes each term including summer. You are also strongly advised to continue your coverage during school breaks. Fees for the insurance will be due when tuition fees are due. Students on approved Optional Practical Training (OPT) or Academic Training may enroll in the plan by phone by calling 800-853-5899 and paying with a credit or debit card.

Back to top

The Cal Poly International Student Health Insurance Plan

Cal Poly has negotiated a reasonable and comprehensive health insurance policy for international students. The Cal Poly plan is brokered by USI Insurance Services, and administered by UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company.

Back to top

How Much Does it Cost?

UnitedHealthcare International Student and Scholar Insurance Plan Premium Costs for 2018-19 Academic Year

Fall 2018
Winter 2019
Spring 2019
Summer 2019
Effective Date
12:00 AM
Termination Date
11:59 PM
Student Premium

These charges will be billed along with your tuition fees when you register for classes each term.

Note: The UnitedHealthcare plan for 2018-19 is a new provider with different co-payment amounts than the previous Aetna plan for 2017-18. You will need a new health insurance card after September 8, 2018.


If you would like to purchase insurance by month to cover your grace period after enrollment ends, or if you would like coverage for periods of OPT, academic training, or summer vacation quarter when you are not enrolled in classes, you may call USI Customer Service at 800-853-5899 and order an extension of coverage over the phone. The monthly cost is $124.80.


There is a $50 plan deductible per person per policy year for services provided within the PPO network, and a deductible of $300 for non-PPO services. If you go to a preferred provider, you pay a $20 copay to see the doctor and 10% of the charge. There is a $150 copay to go to an emergency room. This copay is waived if you are admitted to the hospital. If you go to a doctor outside your preferred provider network, then you pay a $20 copay plus 30% of the cost after your deductible is met. Enrolled students who obtain medications from the Cal Poly pharmacy, will be reimbursed 100% for the cost after submitting a claim. If you get your medications at another pharmacy, you will be charged a copay between $15 and $50 dollars depending on the type of medication. See the full brochure for details.

Back to top

What does it cover?

Back to top

Vision and dental services are not included

The medical plan does NOT include coverage for vision correction (eyeglasses, contact lenses, or vision exams) or dental services for patients over 19 years of age(unless related to an injury). If you wish, you may purchase your own vision and dental insurance. The eHealth web page offers price and coverage comparisons. Be aware of waiting periods on dental plans.

Back to top

How do I get my Insurance ID card?

You may download your card by going to the United Healthcare Student Resources page. Create a login account with your Cal Poly student ID number or Cal Poly email address, and your date of birth. You can find your Cal Poly ID number in the student center. When Cal Poly renews your insurance for the next enrolled quarter, you will not need a new card.

Back to top

How Do I Find a Doctor?

You may see a doctor on campus at Cal Poly Health Services when they are open. See the web page for hours and services offered. You can make an appointment at You may also reach a Cal Poly health professional by phone on After-Hours Nurse Line at 805-756-1211.
Use the UnitedHealthcare Student Resources page and click on the Find Providers link to fine a doctor in your network.

Back to top

Medical Emergency and After Hours Care

See the Medical Emergency web page for locations and contact information for hospitals and walk-in clinics near campus. These facilities accept the Cal Poly International Student Health Insurance Plan.

Back to top

How Do I Submit a Claim?

  1. Mail to the address below all medical and hospital bills along with the patient’s name, and insured student’s name, address, SR ID number (Insured’s insurance Company ID number) and California Polytechnic State University. A claim form is not required unless submitting a claim for services received from the Cal Poly health center. If the claim is for medications or services received from the Cal Poly health center, use the Health Center Claim Form.
  2. Submit claims for payment within 90 days after the date of service to this address:
    • United Healthcare Student Resources
      P.O. Box 809025
      Dallas, TX 75380-9025
    • OR email documents to


Keep your address information in the Student Center current. Your Home address should always reflect where you are currently living. Cal Poly will send your Mailing address information to United Healthcare so they can mail you information about your insurance plan and send you your claims reimbursement checks. If you do not list a Mailing address, your Home address will be sent to United Healthcare. United Healthcare will only send mail and claims checks to a U.S. address.

View a presentation on how to use your insurance plan

Questions Regarding Claims

  • USI Insurance Services (800)853-5899 or e-mail
  • United Healthcare Customer Service 800-767-0700
  • Back to top

    Questions Regarding the Health Insurance Fee

  • Susan Tripp by email or by phone at 805-756-7535.
  • Back to top

    Allowable Exceptions to Cal Poly International Insurance Plan

    Students who are sponsored by a government organization which requires them to have a different health insurance plan as part of their sponsorship,are exempt from enrolling in the Cal Poly health insurance plan. Sponsored students may submit a waiver request along with proof of insurance coverage to the International Center. The International Center will review the insurance plan to check that they meet the CSU requirements.

    Back to top


    Refer to the University Health and Counseling Center immunization requirements information for enrolled students.

    There are no immunization or health tests required to purchase the Cal Poly International Student Health Insurance plan.

    There are no immunization requirements to apply for a J-1 or F-1 visa, or entry to the USA.

    Back to top

    © 2018 California Polytechnic State University Cal Poly International Center
    Building 52, Room E32
    San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
    Phone: (805) 756-1477
    Fax: (805) 756-5484

    Web Accessibility Statement
    Privacy Notice