Cal Poly

F-1 Employment Options

F-1 visa regulations allow students to work on campus starting with their first quarter. Off-campus employment is limited to Curricular Practical Training, Optional Practical Training, or Economic Hardship employment authorization.  Students must be in good academic standing to qualify for any employment. A U.S. Social Security Card is required for paid employment.

On-Campus Employment

  • Work up to 20 hours per week during the quarter and more than 20 hours per week during school breaks
  • No documentation is required from International Center
  • On-campus jobs are posted Mustang Jobs on the portal
  • Students can also ask their academic department office for available jobs
  • International students do not qualify for jobs listed as “Work Study”
  • Must be paid by either Cal Poly State, Cal Poly Corporation or Associated Students Inc. (ASI) to be considered on-campus employment

Off-Campus Employment

Cal Poly International Center
Building 52, Room E32
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407-0721
Phone: (805) 756-1477
Fax: (805) 756-5484

Web Accessibility Statement
Privacy Notice